Ceuta Migrant Crisis: 60,000 Cross From Morocco in a Day

"Migrants cross from Morocco into Spain's Ceuta enclave amid the 2026 border crisis"

By Hammad Kahlun

Scandinavian news Finland

Ceuta Migrant Crisis Deepens as Tens of Thousands Cross Overnight

The Ceuta migrant crisis escalated sharply this week after an estimated 60,000 people crossed from Morocco into the Spanish enclave in a single day, according to Ceuta’s regional president, Juan Jesรบs Vivas.

Spanish authorities called it the worst border crisis since at least 2021.

Vivas told reporters the scale of the arrivals made absorption impossible for the small territory.

Spain’s interior ministry said more than 25,000 people had already been returned to Morocco by Friday afternoon, with departures continuing at pace.

Deaths Mount as Border Fence Is Breached

At least 18 to 34 people have died since the crisis began Thursday, according to differing counts from local authorities and international wire services; many drowned attempting the crossing by sea. Ceuta’s government said bodies were still being recovered from the water.

After border checkpoints on land and at sea were overrun by the scale of the crossings, Spain sent army units to back up the Civil Guard officers already stationed in Ceuta.

Video footage showed large groups, mostly young men, walking along the Tarajal beach breakwaters and onto local roads, alongside some families with children.

Sรกnchez Calls Crossings a Threat to Territorial Integrity

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sรกnchez travelled to Ceuta on Friday and described the mass crossings as a violation of Spain’s territorial integrity.

He linked the surge to a recent Spanish supreme court ruling that migrants arriving by sea cannot automatically be returned to Morocco, a decision he suggested had encouraged smuggling networks to act.

Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska also travelled to the enclave to oversee the government’s response.

Spain’s central government rejected a request from Ceuta’s local authorities to formally declare a national emergency, saying migration does not fall within the legal framework for such a declaration; instead it announced extra police deployments and closer coordination with Moroccan authorities.

Key Facts

  • An estimated 60,000 people crossed from Morocco into Ceuta in roughly 24 hours, per Ceuta’s regional president.
  • At least 18โ€“34 people have died, according to varying official and news-agency counts.
  • By Friday afternoon, Spanish officials reported that more than 25,000 of those who had entered had already been sent back across the border into Morocco.
  • Spain has deployed military forces and rejected a national-emergency declaration request.
  • PM Pedro Sรกnchez linked the surge to a Spanish supreme court ruling on sea-arrival returns.

FAQs:

What caused the 2026 Ceuta migrant crisis?
Spanish officials point primarily to a supreme court ruling restricting returns of migrants who arrive by sea, which they say smuggling networks exploited. A deliberate role by Moroccan authorities, as seen in 2021, has not been confirmed this time.

How many people crossed into Ceuta?
Ceuta’s regional president estimated around 60,000 crossings in a single day, calling it the worst crisis since 2021.

How many people have died?
Reports vary between at least 18 and 34 deaths, most by drowning, as of Friday.

Has Morocco commented on the crisis?
Public statements from Moroccan officials specifically addressing this week’s crossings were not available at the time of writing.

What is Spain doing in response?
Spain deployed military forces to Ceuta, sent its interior minister and prime minister to the territory, and agreed with Morocco to speed up returns, though it declined to declare a national emergency.

What’s Driving the Ceuta Migrant Crisis

The cause of the current surge is disputed. Some Spanish officials and analysts have drawn comparisons to a 2021 Ceuta crisis, when Morocco was widely accused, including by Spain’s then-defence minister, of deliberately loosening border controls amid a diplomatic dispute over Western Sahara.

Moroccan officials denied orchestrating that earlier surge.

For the 2026 crisis, however, available reporting points to a different immediate trigger: the Spanish court ruling on sea arrivals, combined with smuggling networks responding to it, rather than a confirmed act of state policy by Rabat.

No Moroccan or Spanish official has been quoted publicly attributing this week’s crossings to a deliberate government decision in Rabat, and any claim that the surge is being engineered by Morocco as diplomatic leverage remains unconfirmed.

Spain and Morocco agreed on July 30 to tighten coordination and speed up returns, though no timetable has been set.

How the 2021 Ceutaโ€“Morocco border crisis unfolded

About The Author

Related Posts